Thursday, May 31, 2012

350Z and G35 Dual Short Ram Intake with OEM Piping

Overview: This DIY is to help construct a dual Short Ram system for the VQ35HR
Difficulty:2
Time:60 minutes
Cost: $100 – $200, Depends on the price of the parts
Materials: 2 – factory airboxes, 2 – AEM 21-201DK airfilters, 2 – 3/16 metal
stock for hanger.
Tools:flat screwdriver, hammer and Vice
Procedure
Some of the after market air filter setups are crazy expensive. After looking at the factory air boxes and piping I had to give it a try.
At first I wasn’t gonna do this because I didn’t want to destroy the factory boxes. I purchased a used set off ebay for $25 + shipping and went to work.
I then researched filters for quality and sizing and came up with AEM 21-201DK they have 2.5″ inlet and fit perfectly.I then cut the inlet pipes off the stock air boxes as close to the box as possible.
I mounted the AEM filters and temporarily secured them to try them out. They performed much better than the stock air boxes but I wanted to extend them a little closer to the front of the engine compartment. I then purchased 2-1/2 id x 2-1/2 od pipe adapters. I cleaned and polished these and painted them with high temp paint.I then installed them over the OE pipes. They were a tight fit but I used a small amount of black O2 sensor safe rtv to ensure no air leakage.I then fabricated and installed support brackets. This system works very well and I have a total of $125.00 in this.
Step 1 Start with two factory airboxes

Step 2 Remove the airboxes form the OEM tubing

Step 3 Attache the AEM filter to the OEM tubing and tighten down with provided clamp


Picture of the OEM Setup

Picture of the Modified Setup

recomneded