Thursday, May 31, 2012

how to modify the speaker ????

Well I took the plunge and bought a set of the ScanSpeak 18W revelators.. went ahead and debucked them today... which was an experience.

I started the deadening process of my doors. Today I managed to do the inner part of the door, and the metal that the door panel attaches to with 1 layer of Raammat. I'm going to do a layer of eDead v3 tomororw, and I'm ordering some ensolite tonight.. I think that should do pretty well for me.

These speakers sure are a lot bigger than the stock 4" mids that came with the car

I've figured out how to mount my speakers to the door: the stock speakers came in tuned enclosures that bolt to the door. I will be building an MDF baffle that will bolt to the door the same way that the stock enclosures did, and then I'll use some fiberglass, or popsicle sticks + duraglass, to make the enclosure seal against the door.

So here's my dilemma. I NEED to modify my door panels to allow for the longer mounting depth of these speakers. I previously had some CDT EF-51 components, and the Scans are about 1/2" deeper. They also have more excursion, so they just won't fit.

Let me illustrate my door panel with some pictures. (The handle is already removed in this pic, but you can see where it bolts onto the panel. Also, notice that the stock speaker grill lines up right next to the handle that is missing.)

This is what the panel looks like right now, minus handle:


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.


This is the same panel with my old CDT 5.25" mid speaker ontop of it.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.


This is with the larger Scans..

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.


Back side of the panel:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.


This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.



This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized %1%2.



What I'm thinking about doing is cutting out the current grill on the front of the panel, and cutting about 1 inch into the "map pocket".. and basically enlarging it to a 7" circle.. using fiberglass and a speaker grill.. then wraping it with vinyl. I have a custom leather 2-tone interior, and I can get vinyl from the manufacturer of the kit that matches the leather perfectly. I just have to make that circular section about 1/2" deeper, but I think Ill just make it 1" deeper in case I later decide to go to an 8" driver with some crazy mounting depth

Any other creative ideas out there? Or tips?

recomneded